State Archives of Belgium

Our collective memory!

FR | NL | DE | EN


Texte petit  Texte normal  Texte grand

You have a complaint about our services? Let us know!

You have a complaint about our services?For the entire Federal Administration, service to the public is a priority. You are not satisfied with the services of the State Archives?
You were not able to solve a problem with a member of our personnel?
The complaints coordinator of the State archives will try to solve the problem in the best possible manner. 

How do I file a complaint?

  • Via the online form : You can send us your complaint via the online form below on our website.
  • By letter : send us a letter to the following address:
    National Archives of Belgium
    Complaints Coordinator
    Rue de Ruysbroeck 2
    1000 Brussels

Please don’t forget to always mention:

  • Your first and last names.
  • Your e-mail address, postal address or phone number.
  • Whether you are a reader, archives producer, member of a Federal Public Service or other institution.

Please describe the matter clearly and also indicate the State Archives repository in which it occurred.

What happens next with your complaint?

Once you filed the complaint, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt, preferentially per e mail.
You will then receive a motivated response to your complaint within 30 calendar days.
Your complaint will be dealt with confidentially. Your personal details will only be used for the processing of your complaint, in accordance with the terms of the law of 8 December 1992 on the protection of private life.

Which complaints are not receivable?

The following complaints are not receivable:

  • Anonymous complaints.
  • Complaints filed by a group of persons. Only individual complaints are taken into account.
  • Complaints about matters that do not fall within the area of responsibility of the State Archives.
  • Complaints about incidents that occurred more than one year before the complaint is filed.

Information request

  • In order to obtain information or to indicate a problem with a digitised church or civil status register, please send an e-mail via the contact form.
  • This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it In order to obtain information from one of our 20 State Archives repositories, please consult the repository addresses list.

Federal Ombudsman

If you are not satisfied with the treatment of your complaint, you can write to the Federal Ombudsman:

  • By e-mail :
  • By phone : 0800 999 61 (free number) or 02 289 27 27.
  • By postal letter: Federal Ombudsman, Rue de Louvain 48 bte 6 at 1000 Brussels.
  • By fax : 02 289 27 28.


For all questions and remarks not related to a complaint, please use the "Contact" section.

Your contact information: e-Procurement